Why be a Guide?
Few careers are more rewarding than guiding
- a Blue Badge Tourist Guide has the opportunity to share their love of the North East with people from around the world.
No two days are the same! A work day might involve:
- guiding a student group in an art gallery
- taking a family on a city highlight tour
- interpreting the North East countryside for a coachgroup of international visitors
Guiding requires a good level of knowledge
- you’ll give people memorable experiences
- you’ll develop useful skills that can open up a range of further opportunities
Tourist Guide Training in North East England
The next North East England training course offered by
About the Course
The Blue Badge is the highest standard of qualifications for Tourist Guiding in the UK.
Our training course is highly focused on the practicalities of guiding and you’ll gain the skills to start or develop your guiding career.
- Communication and presentation skills
- An introduction to Britain’s cultural and historical background
- Lectures on a broad range of subjects including art, architecture, the legal system, literature, science
- Training to assist with developing an in-depth knowledge of the North East region
- Comprehensive training on specific sites
- Business skills and self-employment guidance
- A mixture of lectures, practical training and self study
Is it for You?
Trainee guides come from a wide cross-section of communities and have a mix of educational and practical backgrounds.
We’re not looking for history experts, but motivated
and passionate individuals.
There’s no strict academic requirements to join the course, but it’s the equivalent of a degree, so you need to be willing to work hard and fully commit to extending your knowledge and practical skills.
It’s not essential, but is a real asset if you’re fluent in more than one language.